Sunday, November 4, 2012

Planning the Perfect Election Watch Party

Appetizers...check
Beverages...check
Clean house...check
TV ready...check
Guests invited...um...WHO?

For someone who has never hosted nor attended an Election Watch Party, I cannot help but wonder all the goes into the process. While I understand the proper hosting etiquette...the only BIG question I have for this type of party is...WHO DO YOU INVITE?

For instance, say you identify as a Moderate...do you invite your extreme liberal and conservative friends to the same party? Say you are very conservative; do you only invite only your friends and colleagues that will reinforce your values? Or, do you invite your liberal friends in hopes that you can put a "W" in their face?

Maybe it is like having a Bears vs. Packers party...except just a whole lot more personal. This party may have two different "teams" you’re rooting for, but you’re not just voting for the team that you grew up watching...you are rooting for the candidate that shares your ideologies.

So, if I had to choose my guest list now, I would say I would choose a variety of perspectives and then I would get my largest knife sharpened...just in case I would have to cut the tension in the room.

Until Tuesday...Happy Election Party Planning!

1 comment:

  1. I had to comment. This post is so true, and the question in topic is definitely a confusing one. I would not know who to invite to such a party either.

    As we discussed earlier in this term, we all tend to invite people with like-minded opinions and views to surround us, so we can be on the same side and form an even stronger argument/opinion on whatever the topic may be, but for this instance it would be the electoral candidate. Inviting friends with opposing views, and/or those with just slightly different views or slightly more extreme than your own, would definitely seem to cause tension throughout the night.

    So good luck to those of you hosting any type of Election Party! May the odds be ever in your favor!

    ReplyDelete